Older but definitely not wiser

The saying goes "The older you are the wiser you get" or something like that, but that certainly does not apply to me.
Every year I get older and every year I plan my vacation to start at the absolute butt-crack of dawn...will I ever learn, or in other words "be wiser"???

There's something that happens when I book our flight for almost any vaca that blocks all past experiences and allows me to think that it is OK to book that first flight of the day, completely forgetting what it was like last time when we had to get to bed early (I never get any sleep), get up early and head to the airport just to be able to get to our destination by mid-afternoon at best only to be way too tired and hungry to actually do anything. Dave is actually a trooper through all of this. He gets to sleep early, gets us to the airport and makes sure I don't have a complete melt down along the way.
It's reminds me about what they say about childbirth, it's a mother to get through, but almost as soon as it's over you forget all the pain and crap you just went through and as soon as you see some other bright shiny mew baby you're ready to do it all over again...UGH, Good thing I was more disciplined with the kid thing!!

So, back to why we are really torturing ourselves....this trip is Roatan and for anyone who has had enough patience to read any of my past trip blogs, you know the story....Dave and I are looking for a low key, low cost, off the beaten path to sow our retirement oats, so to speak.
We hope to retire early but that will not happen if we cannot find a low budget place that we are attracted to.

Roatan has been on my vacation list for a long time. It is in the Caribbean, has beaches every where, it is low key, in some cases it is low cost and who couldn't enjoy snorkeling anytime they want over what is said to be one of the best places to snorkel......I'm in.

Regardless of my ill-advised early flight and a long travel day with a slight delay in Dallas, I am optimistic of what we will discover on this island and the possibilities of naming this our place to retire.

Let's see how it all plays out over the next couple of weeks.

Comments