Lazy Day, Moving Day

Ok, so I'll admit that through my first week here in Roatan I didn't post much, mostly because I didn't have much to post about. Dave and I were a little lazier than we normally are on vaca and we spent a lot of our first week just hanging at the beach or the house. Friday was a case of the latter.
I woke up with every intention to do something but it was a nice cloudy, no chill day and so I picked up my Kindle and headed to the shady deck and began to read. I don't get to read as much as I would like to and sometimes I feel guilty doing so on vacation but Dave and I spend enough time together that he knows that I am not trying to ignore him (at least not intentionally). Many times though he must think so because just as I start reading he starts talking, asking me questions, etc. Really? Did you not just see me start to read? I don't ask the question because the know the answer: "Yes, why do you think I started talking to you?". Let's get one thing straight though, he doesn't do it because he is feeling ignored or neglected. He does it because he knows I am trying to read and it bugs me. I try to act like it doesn't but anyone who knows me knows that I am not a patient person so eventually he wins the battle and I show my frustration, then he laughs and leaves me alone. Luckily today he has found River Monsters on TV and I can slip away to read. After a while we headed down to the local beach bar for some lunch and a few drinks. The drink of the island for tourists is called the Monkey La La. It consists of vodka, bailey's, kalhua and coconut cream, some add some chocolate to the glass or on top. You can probably tell from the ingredients that it is pretty good. We of course have our obligatory Monkey La La after some beers and nachos since it tastes somewhat like dessert and as I am drinking it I realize that I have cancelled out all of my walking this week and any chance I had of going home a few pounds lighter, oh well.
The rest of the afternoon was spent as the morning was, lazing around, reading, dozing, etc. We had our thai leftovers tonight and hung around and started to pack up a little because tomorrow is moving day.

Saturday is moving day!! We are renting a car and heading over to the east end of the island. My research of the island shows that the east end is very quiet, secluded and even more laid back than the busier west end. It seems odd that we lazed around on the busier side and now we are heading to the more laid back area...lol. Of course now we have a car so that means we will probably end up exploring more and doing more than we did the first week.
Our car is a little Hyundai Eon - think Toyota Yaris only smaller. The roads on the island become a bit questionable the further out of the west end you drive. They are narrow, uneven and potholes show up at any moment. The only good thing about driving out this way is that there is less traffic, foot, car and animal, than in the west end so a little defensive driving is required but Dave is a pro. The road to our rental is a dirt road that in the rainy season would surely require a 4-wheel drive vehicle but since it is the dry season we should be ok with our trusty little Eon (fingers crossed).
The place we are renting is a complete opposite from our little studio in West End. This is a full on 2 bedroom villa that sits above the water with a nice little pool right outside of our door. It is a nice relaxing start here and I sure hope that doesn't keep us from venturing out and seeing a few things.....we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Comments